Monday, April 27, 2009

Jenny Vivian, Vietnam & India


Jenny Vivian attends St Thomas More parish in Bateman. She had decided to take a year's sabbattical from her work as a Mathematics teacher at Mercy Catholic Collge in Koondoola, to live and work amongst the poor. She contacted the Catholic Mission Office in Highgate to help with finding her a placement in Vietnam. Here is her story:


I took a year off in 2008 and was very privileged to be able to do some volunteer work in Vietnam and India. I spent 2.5 months with the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions in Ho Chi Minh City and 3 months with the Sisters of the Missionaries of Charities in Kolkata.

In Vietnam I taught English to the Sisters and the novices. During this time I went with some of the Sisters to visit the poor people in the neighbourhood and people suffering from AIDS. A Vietnamese man who selflessly gave his life to look after AIDS sufferers started one AIDS community that we visited. To see people suffering and dying of AIDS was very confronting for me. I saw a mother sitting on the bedside of her dying son, holding his hands. The condition was very basic and yet I noticed and felt a strong spirit of compassion and peace among the sufferers. The stronger ones looked after the weaker ones. They treated each other with compassion and respect. I also went to visit Long Dhien where the sisters work with people with lepers and the tribal children. We attended the mass at a local church, a very simple small church with thatch roof and people sitting on the ground. It was one of the most beautiful masses I’ve ever attended. The small church was full and the people’s faces reflected their deep faith. I felt a strong sense of connection and oneness with Christ and the people there.

In Kolkata, I had the privilege to help severely handicapped children in Mother Teresa’s Shishu Bavan and in the afternoon I helped at Kalighat (the Home for the Dying). On Sundays I also helped the street children at Nabo Jibon. The Sisters and the Brothers did an amazing work. I noticed their sense of joy (which was contagious) in whatever they were doing. I attended daily mass with the sisters and other volunteers as well as adoration. Serving those who are suffering has helped me to see the suffering Christ. I find the experience extremely rewarding and has helped me tremendously in my personal and spiritual growth.

No comments: