Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Isabelle McKenna, Thailand

Isabelle McKenna is a parishioner from St Francis Xavier Cathedral community in Geraldton. Towards the end of 2010 she contacted the Catholic Mission Office to inquire about the possibility of spending her Gap year on an overseas missionary placement. As a result of her inquiries, she now finds herself as a missionary volunteer with the Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition in Thailand. She recently wrote about her experience:

“…At the moment I'm in Klong Lan, a small district in the North of Thailand. It is very isolated compared to Surin (where I previously was) and my mission is very different. Three nights a week I assist Sr Marritress and Father with teaching cathecism and then every friday I go to the local government school to teach English. I have only been here for a week, so I'm just absorbing the new culture and the new way of life. Most of the people in Klong Lan are very poor and lack many basic neccessities. Many of the parents cannont afford education or basic health care. However the government has been very generous in providing public education and public health. It really is a great benefit to the community. And
it also shows the kindness of others…”

No comments: